Friday, December 17, 2010

At the Marrakech Film Festival, a chilling glimpse into the Muslim world. Ruth Franklin, a senior editor at The New Republic, describes watching a 1989 movie by a Moroccan director:
When the men awaken to discover the women missing, the entire village is mobilized to hunt them down. Their escape route, which runs along the beach, is entirely exposed, and they are brought back in a fishing boat. Watching the men of the village gather around the two women in a circle on the beach, I ought to have realized what was about to happen, but somehow it did not process. Not until the first stone was raised did I understand. The stoning of the women was staged tastefully, without excessive gore, but it was among the most shocking things I have ever seen on a movie screen. As the scene ended and I sat back in my seat, shaken, something even more astonishing occurred. From the audience around me there came a smattering of applause.

Until that moment, really, I had forgotten where I was.
(Via Contentions.)

(Edited since originally posted.)