Saturday, October 16, 2010

A couple of weeks ago Jonah Goldberg discussed the "excruciatingly inappropriate spectacle" of Stephen Colbert's testimony, in his Colbert Report persona, before Congress. Below is the text of a response I sent Goldberg. I've posted on this subject before, and though I've never seen anyone else make a similar point, I can't believe I'm the only person who feels this way.

About the salutation and signature: Goldberg and I haven't met, but informality seemed appropriate to me at the time. In retrospect, maybe not so much.

Mr G,

Naturally Congress invited Colbert to testify in character. Why wouldn't they take him seriously? Look at some of the people who've given him their imprimatur by gracing his stage:

John Kasich
Harvey Mansfield (!)
Hugh Hewitt
William Kristol (!)
Ramesh Ponnuru (!!)
Dinesh D'Souza
Jed Babbin
Frank Gaffney
Richard Brookhiser (three times!)
George Will (!)
Rich Lowry (!!)
Stephen Moore
Christopher Caldwell
Laura Ingraham

A list of otherwise-admirable conservatives who've guested on The Daily Show would of course be far longer and would, as you know, contain your name.

I'm a big fan of yours and NR/NRO's, but you and your colleagues who appear on these shows helped make possible Colbert's testimony before Congress, as well as the "ironic rot" his testimony both exemplifies and deepens. I hope something wakes you guys up. Really -- and I take no pleasure in writing this -- you should all be ashamed.

Sadly, but with best wishes,
Michael G