Monday, March 8, 2010

 

Jonah Goldberg via newsletter (subscribe):
I listened to a story on the local NPR station about the legalization of gay marriage in D.C. I don't have much energy to argue the pros and cons of the issue, but I did find NPR's interview with a lesbian woman pretty hilarious. She and her partner (wife?) moved from New Jersey to D.C. so they could be legally married to one another. Fine, fine. If I were gay, I might do something like that, I guess. But what struck me as funny was the woman's statement (quoting from memory) that she and her partner cared so much about getting married that "we were willing to sacrifice congressional representation."

I hear these sorts of things all the time on local radio and TV, and, as someone who thinks D.C. statehood is one of America's dumbest "major" issues, I always find it hilarious. . . .

Now, I admit I may be the odd one here. I've never had a congressman I liked, or even the opportunity to vote for anyone I liked who had the slightest chance of winning, although I guess Daniel Patrick Moynihan was pretty cool as my senator in my youth. But when I hear someone say that they love someone so much and are so desperate to get married that they're willing to "sacrifice" their ability to vote for their congressional representatives (from New Jersey!), I don't see it as a heart-wrenching expression of true love. Quitting your job, leaving your family, donating a kidney: that's the stuff of true love. Giving up your ability to send Rodney Frelinghuysen back to Congress, meh, not so much. It reminds me more of Anthony Michael Hall in
The Breakfast Club, explaining that he got a fake I.D. so he could vote.